Friday, January 14, 2011

Cosmetics: A Deadly Industry

This week’s post is going to be short & sweet, because I am going to let the below video tell you everything I want to.
The ‘Story of Stuff: Cosmetics’ awoke me to the fact that every time I stepped into the bathroom of a morning, I was in fact going in there to poison my body. The day after I watched this I threw out all of my old cosmetics and started again...
Some may see this as waste, and an expensive one at that, but when you realise the harm that you are doing to your body every time you wash your hair, moisturise your body and put make-up on, even though you are doing these things to be ‘healthy’, you might reassess your bathroom cupboard too.
Now I hope I haven’t frightened you off too much. Go on, watch it. It might just save you and your children’s lives.
Have you watched it? No wonder rates of cancer in Australia have been on the rise over the last few decades. In 1982, 47,350 new cases of cancer were diagnosed in Australia compared with 108,368 cases in 2007 (Cancer Australia).
Due to the frightening facts mentioned in this short clip, I conclude that buying products with harmful products in them cannot be classified as ethical. If manufacturers are placing these chemicals in the products we buy, knowing full well the risks involved then I do not wish to give my money to such a company.
I challenge you to go to the below website and research the risk rating for ingredients in the products you use. You might be surprised by the result.
Thank-fully there are now many alternative options available in the Australia market. This week I purchased chemical free natural shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and sunscreen through Australian company ‘Natural Instinct’ available at Priceline and most major supermarkets. I found the products to be super effective and my hairdresser even said she has never seen my hair so healthy! Natural Instinct have a range of other products so make sure you check them out.
I also purchased 100% natural makeup made by another Australian company ‘Nude by Nature.’ The makeup is made from organic clays and minerals and allows you skin to breath while giving me the best coverage I have ever had. My skin looks great all day!
Both Natural Instict and Nude by Nature do not test their products on animals.
I did have one muck-up this week in the area of cosmetics whilst pursuing my ethical shopping ideal. I went to the hairdresser to get my hair coloured, and before going to my appointment did ask that she use a brand that is somewhat organic and does not test on animals. She said that should not be a problem but upon arrival I found that she had purchased Wella’s which is apparently not tested on animals but is owned by Proctor & Gamble USA which has a boycott called against them due to  laboratory experiments on and cruelty to animals. Oops! If anyone can help me in sourcing professional hair colour that actually works (not henna as I am blonde) and is produced by an ethical company I would be most grateful!
I hope I have prompted you into action this week!
MM
PS- If you would like more information about why products tested on animals are unethical, go to.
Reference:
AIHW, CA (Cancer Australia) & AACR (Australasian Association of Cancer Registries) 2008. Cancer survival and prevalence in Australia: cancers diagnosed from 1982 to 2004. Cancer series no. 42. Cat. No. CAN 38. Canberra: AIHW.

5 comments:

  1. This is great Megan... some times i used to actually feel my eyes burning from make-up I used to use! Cosmetics Database is a great site, and I think I will look up Nude by Nature to see if they have anything in my colours ;) keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling! You can sleep in Nude by Nature it feels so clean. And I have had heaps of comments about how clear my skin looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manic Panic is a hairdye that doesnt test on animals :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just started using Arbonne cosmetics and skincare, they claim to be vegan friendly, pretty much chemical free and never test on animals, but I can't see Arbonne on the list at ccf. Does anyone have any info that they can help me with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work.GSette Manufacturing

    ReplyDelete